I've recently received my new encaustic iron and some wax to play with. Have been playing with them the past couple of weeks and wish I bought them long ago.
First experient was to wax ironed a seriette onto a card, and also the centre image. The black netting was also melted into the wax and onto the serviette background. This card was made for my dear friend Marilena for her birthday earlier this week.
Then I thought I would try a simple canvas, applying wax to the sides, top, bottom and of course the front. Using my new iron, I found it easy and a lot of fun. The photo used is a relative of a dear friend of mine, Judy from Toowoomba. Not sure if it's her Mother or Grandmother. Isn't she beautiful.
Then I decided to make something for the Art of the Month swap that was due using the wax. I love birds still so came up with a free standing bird and was happy with the results.
The background in the centre was started some time ago during a technique demo. Once home, I decided to make use of it. A few additions to the background, a lovely vintage photo mounted in the centre with the lower half covered in crackle paint to aid in the vintage look. All mounted to an antique book cover with some other bits inbetween. All ready for sale at the fundraiser that was later cancelled. Oh well, next year perhaps.
This was my first in the book cover art series and made back in May with the intention of selling it at a local artists fundraising event, which was later cancelled. I decided to make another similar for Kasha's birthday in July.
Making this little piece was enjoyable and the old book cover was perfect for what I had in mind. This was my second of its type and hoped Kasha would like it for her birthday. Mounting art on old book covers adds so much interest.
Here are the next pages for our lovely group, Page Dwellers.
Page 2 is Zetti plus Ribbon, Page 3 was Man or Boy plus a cigar band and Page 4 was to use any Oxford Impression stamps and some metal embellishments. Sadly, only two pages remain for this swap which has been so much fun.
For May I had drawn Kasha to make for in our little monthly art swap group. This hanging was made using various fabric strips sewn together. The centrepiece is a lovely old vintage style image with a stamped transparency, that I had made sometime before, then sewn over top. This was then mounted onto an old book cover.
Some open weave cloth and then some lace was then added to the bottom of the background fabric piece, before gluing the book cover centrepiece in place. Various embellishments finished it off.
This month I had Julie to make for. Last month it was Julie's turn to make for me and I was so fortunate to recieve the most gorgeous arty cat. Have a look at her blog to check him out. Anyway, knowing Julie loves cats, I made a hanging canvas and the cat was slightly raised in different levels.
I picked up this shabby little box frame at a second hand store. It had a piece of glass at the back with an ugly butterfly stuck to the centre. Once home, I pulled it apart, sanded and aged it a bit, adding some old bits of paper here and there. The back glass piece was transformed as I added my own simple collage as inspired by a recent class I took with the lovely and talented Jen Crossley. One photo is hard to see here, but it a tintype photo of two boys.
Well, I had a go at making one of those fabulous shabby flowers as per Roben-Marie's instructions posted on her wonderful blog March 17th, but failed miserably when it came to the centre flower piece. In the end I gave up and attached a button instead. I think the glue has a lot to do with the success of these centres but have not been able to locate it here as yet.
This Koala lives around our home and the farm joining the rear of our property. I heard the loud grunting/mating noises last night and knew I would find him nearby today. Turns out he decided to spend the day in the gum outside our bedroom window, just 5 metres from the house. The bark below him is naturally that way and not a mess made by him.
This is my 12 days gift that I somehow managed to get made in time before our holiday later November. I picked up a dozen light switch covers from Bunnings in a throw out bin and decided this was the starting point for my 12 days art project. The cover is covered with alcohol inks first and when dried, stamped with a text stamp in black in patches. My husband made the backs for me which I could collage for the inside. Clear lacquer covers the image and various fibres, paper and lace complete the little project.
Our five weeks in Italy was wonderful and though we have only been back a week, the planning has commenced for our next European holiday though we may only visit a few places in the north of Italy next time.