Thursday, October 16, 2008
The other birthday project from our art group was for our dear friend Judy. We decided on a book with each of us required to make two A5 pages front and back with the theme 'Weird Nature'. The colour palette was cream, rust, green and black. This was quite a challenge for me on all counts. The front page features a flying zebra with a puzzled bee.
Monday, October 6, 2008
This card was the result of yet another failed attempt at making something suitable for Marilena's birthday project. Two previous attempts found their way into the bin, but I salvaged this one that I felt did not make the grade and made it into a card instead. Some of the little paper squares are stitched onto the walnut ink stained numbers paper. The branches and leaves are cut from various papers. The wooden heart was first painted, then stamped with the message. The music paper on the main card was embossed with a cuttlebug embossing folder and then rubbed over with a sepia sponge block to highlight the pattern.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
I've been very lazy and instead of thinking of something new, decided to modify yet again Marilena's project for another swap I'm involved in for October. Around the edges I painted Antique Crackle, let it dry, then rubbed some Treasure Gold over it to highlight the cracks. I hope Samm likes my little easel project for the AOTM (Art of the Month) which finished, stands just under 6 inches high.
The little project for Marilena was fun to make, so I decided to use the same layout and make my lovely neighbour Jodie a hanging piece as thanks for her recent act of kindness. She managed to get one of my sons interested in applying for a position advertised locally where she works. He was slow to start, but in then end he has submitted a fine application. It would be great for him to get an interview for the experience of that process and just wonderful if he was lucky enough to get the traineeship. Regardless, he now has a good grasp of what it required on his next job application, thanks to Jodie. This is about 11 inches from the top of the hanging ribbon to the bottom of the beads.
This is one of my pieces for my friend Marilena as part of a larger project. Each of us in the group had two or three pieces to complete in various sizes and shapes. The colours had to be cream, sepia, sage green and dusty pink. We also had to use fabric, lace or other fibers, some stitching if possible and the theme was birds and hearts.
The large heart is black paper sewn with strips of scrap quilting fabric I found in the correct colours. The background paper also has faint pink hearts in it. The eggs have the labels, love and affection.
Once the other five girls complete theirs, the 16 various pieces will be stuck down a 24 x 24 inch canvas to give to Marilena as our combined birthday project. I look forward to seeing it completed and admiring the other girls work.
This card is my latest swap for my US friends. I've used Golden's rust and blue glazes on the papers and embossed the cuttlebug diamond pattern on the lower section. This is hightlighted with Treasure Gold. I then stamped a few flourishes, added the images and text.